‘Making Disciples for Life’ Initial Gathering
January 9, 2020 - January 11, 2020
The first Making Disciples for Life (MDFL) conference will be held Jan. 9–11, 2020, at The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) International Center (IC) in St. Louis.
Face-to-face interactions and exchanges of information among the people of congregations, districts and the national Synod are the goals of these conferences.
Resources provided at this conference will focus on empowering local congregations’ pastors and laity to make a godly impact in their congregations and communities.
Come join in the conversation. Please also consider sharing this church bulletin insert to invite members of your congregation to participate.
This Initial Gathering will include two parts:
- A stand-alone afternoon conference, titled “What We’ve Learned,” will feature four 30-minute presentations. Get an inside look at what the leaders of Synod are most concerned and excited about and how this will impact our future work together.
- These days will foster conversation among parishioners, pastors, district leaders and Synod leaders. Breakout sessions will foster interaction on topics such as volunteer engagement, leading during disasters and ministry to millennials. Further, “tabletop” discussions for all participants will take place around the IC. Engage in conversation about key topics of your choosing, expressing needs and sharing and receiving advice and resources as we strive to walk together as a Synod. Participants in these conversations will include the Rev. Dr. Matthew Harrison, LCMS president; the Rev. Kevin Robson, LCMS chief mission officer; the directors of each LCMS ministry, and other LCMS leaders.
You will be available to choose from these presentations and more:
- Making Disciples for Life — Rev. Dr. Matthew Harrison, LCMS president
- Loving Your Neighbor When Life Gets Tough — Rev. Michael Meyer, director of LCMS Disaster Training
- Seven Habits of Healthy Youth Ministry — LCMS Youth Ministry staff
- Demographic Opportunities and Challenges — Rev. Heath Curtis, coordinator of LCMS Stewardship Ministry
- Campus Ministry — Rev. Marcus Zill, director of LCMS Campus Ministry and LCMS U
- LCMS Ethnic Ministries — Rev. Dr. Roosevelt Gray Jr., director of LCMS Black Ministry
- Challenges in Domestic Mission — Rev. Robert Zagore, executive director of the LCMS Office of National Mission
- LCMS Mercy Work — LCMS Disaster Response staff
- Urban & Inner-City Mission — Rev. Dr. Steven Schave, director of LCMS Urban & Inner-City Mission; director of LCMS Church Planting
- Re:Vitality and Congregational Revitalization — Rev. Dr. Mark Wood, director of LCMS Witness & Outreach Ministry and LCMS Revitalization
- Pastoral Education — Rev. Dr. James Baneck, executive director of the LCMS Office of Pastoral Education
- LCMS Secretarial Report — Rev. Dr. John Sias, Synod secretary
- LCMS International Mission — Rev. Daniel McMiller, executive director of the LCMS Office of International Mission
- Church Worker Wellness — Rev. Robert Zagore
- Ministry to People with Disabilities — members of the LCMS Disability Task Force
- Child/Youth Protection and Ministry Response — TBD
- Domestic Violence Response — members of the LCMS Domestic Violence Task Force
- LCMS Young Adult Research — LCMS Youth Ministry staff
- Church Music — Rev. Dr. Jon Vieker, senior assistant to the LCMS president
You are also invited to sit at the table with these ministry leaders to discuss questions and opportunities in these areas of ministry:
- The LCMS with Rev. Dr. Matthew Harrison
- Missions in the LCMS with Rev. Kevin Robson, LCMS chief mission officer
- Pastoral Education with Rev. Dr. James Baneck
- International Mission with Rev. Daniel McMiller
- Funding the Mission with Mark Hofman, executive director of LCMS Mission Advancement
- Lutheran Schools with Dr. Rebecca Schmidt
- Church Planting with Rev. Dr. Steven Schave
- Evangelism with Rev. Dr. Mark Wood
- LCMS Grant Opportunities with Deaconess Maryann Hayter, manager of grants administration
- Rural & Small Town Mission with Rev. Todd Kollbaum, director of LCMS Rural & Small Town Mission and pastor, Trinity Lutheran Church, Madison, Neb.
- Expanding Ministry with Recognized Service Organizations with Deaconess Dorothy Krans, director of LCMS Recognized Service Organizations
- Volunteer Recruitment and Management with Deaconess Cara Patton, coordinator for LCMS Recognized Service Organizations and Maureen Lenz, manager of LCMS Volunteer Connection
- Stewardship with Rev. Heath Curtis
- Youth Ministry with LCMS Youth Ministry staff
- Campus Ministry with Rev. Marcus Zill
- Connecting Rural and Urban Congregations with Rev. Todd Kollbaum and Rev. Dr. Steven Schave
- LCMS Ethnic Ministries with Rev. Dr. Roosevelt Gray
- National Mission with Rev. Robert Zagore
- Disaster Response Training with the LCMS Disaster Response staff
- Urban & Inner-City Mission with Rev. Dr. Steven Schave
- RSO Roundtable with Deaconess Dorothy Krans