2024 Institute on Liturgy, Preaching and Church Music:
July 8–12, 2024
Concordia University Nebraska • Seward, Neb.
The 2024 Institute on Liturgy, Preaching and Church Music will offer a youth choir program from Monday, July 8, to Friday, July 12, that runs parallel to the conference at Concordia University Nebraska in Seward, Neb.
- Application opened: Feb. 12
- Application closes: April 19
- Release forms due: May 1
- Monday, July 8 — Check-in begins at 3 p.m.; choir rehearsal begins at 4 p.m.
- Friday, July 12 — Closing Divine Service begins at 12:15 p.m.
Program and activities
Youth Choir participants will:
- Rehearse, sing for and attend conference worship services, including the Wednesday Evening Vespers and the service on Friday morning;
- Be involved in a variety of musical experiences, including being used as a demonstration group for various seminars and workshops; and
- Meet other students from across the country as well as participate in recreational activities together in a “camp-style” format.
- Mr. Jonathan Busarow, executive artistic director of the Fort Wayne (Ind.) Children’s Choir, will give musical instruction, rehearse and conduct the choir.
- Ms. Stephanie Poyner, director of parish music at Lamb of God in Flower Mound, Texas, will oversee the Youth Choir programming and daily activities with the assistance of Deaconess Jennette Heller and college student counselors from our Concordia University System schools.
Lodging and meals
Youth Choir members will be housed in the dorms at Concordia University, Nebraska and eat in the campus cafeteria. They will be under the supervision of adults who have been asked to serve in a variety of roles for this conference with the assistance of college student volunteers.
Youth who are commuting or lodging with parent(s) or guardian(s) off campus may also participate in the Institute Youth Choir. They will need to be checked in each morning and out each evening. More details will follow.
Transportation to and from the conference will be the obligation of each student and their parent(s) or guardian(s).
Choir member requirements
- Be between ages 10-14 by July 2024.
- Have an unchanged treble voice.
- Have a letter of recommendation from church or school choir director or other vocal instructor who knows the student’s abilities. No audition recording is required.
- Come prepared and ready to learn and grow in the Christian faith.
After registering an initial online application, your application is pending receipt of the following items:
- Online form — Teacher recommendation
- Printed form — Medical release and indemnification; authorization for medical and dental decisions; and photo and video release.
Links to these forms will be provided in the application confirmation email. Parents/guardians must complete and submit the forms to LCMS Worship by May 1.
The registration fee is $250 per student and includes meals, lodging, music and programming. Registration will be open through April 19. Credit cards will only be charged if an application is accepted.
All applicants will be notified of acceptance status by May 3.
Family members or guardians who travel with Institute Youth Choir participants may attend the services and the psalm festival at no cost and without registration. They may register for meals and/or dormitory housing as non-participants.
All fees, except a $75 non-refundable administrative fee, will be refunded if cancellation is received by June 15. After this date, no refunds will be given.
About the Institute
Registration is open for the 2024 Institute on Liturgy, Preaching and Church Music on July 9-12, 2024, at Concordia University, Nebraska (CUNE) in Seward, Neb.
The Institute, which is being presented by LCMS Worship, returns under the theme, “Songs of Deliverance: Psalms in the Great Congregation.”
Contact LCMS Worship for more information about the choir and Institute.